CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday

Whatever is Pure


Think on things that are pure. That is so hard to do. Especially if you are angry with your spouse. Phillippians 4:8 is a security, reminder and a swift kick in the rear to me during a time that I had allowed my mind to be filled with negative thoughts. Negative thoughts toward life and my husband. I can remember sitting on a front porch at night, bugs flying all over and thinking all the "what if's" that could be thought.


One night when I almost had myself talked into believing that I had totally had my life going in the wrong direction, God gave me this verse. Not the whole verse but 'what is pure' from Philippians 4:8. The Lord laid it on my heart that I needed to only focus on things in my life that was pure. Things in my life that were true. Things that were of good motive.


I immediately starting writing a list that went something like this;
  1. My love for my husband is pure. I love him, no doubt about that. Nothing would change that I love and care for him.
  2. My children, I love with all my heart.
  3. My parents and my husband's parents, I love with all my heart.
  4. God created this marriage and sealed it with us making a commitment to each other.
  5. God created both of my children in his image.
  6. My life has been blessed by God and the gifts he has given me.
  7. My God is the same now as he was before and will be in the future. I can rest in that.
  8. I am a child of God so as I would not let my children hurt without comfort, He would do the same.
These were just a few things that started running through my head. It was a huge mind game. I truly believe that it was from the devil and me allowing it happen. At that point, I got up, folded the paper and slipped it in a special place and promised God that I would try to think only of things that are pure. That is so hard. As I continued to deal with my negative thoughts that maybe were self inflicted or by my some one's attitude or actions, I was reminded by that still small voice to shift my thoughts on things that were pure. I love my husband, this child, this parent, this friend that is standing in front of me and what we are going through right now will not change that fact. I love them so much that I am willing to stand through this short time of fire to keep a relationship with the one I love.

Amazingly, focusing your thought with the pure, creates an atmosphere of love and compassion and also understanding. It takes care of many issues. It combats mind games that might be going on in your head.

Trust me, I realize that sometimes the issues that you are dealing with might be one that needs further resolution. It might be an unfaithful spouse, a child that has gone wayward or a friend that has attacked you, but you still have the pure thoughts of Christ and who He is and that He will never leave you. Dwell on that as much as possible.

"And, now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing, Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! Would you allow me to post it on my site (http://Beauty4Moms.blogspot.com) as a guest post with credit given to you and your blog. I've always struggled with that verse and I think you expressed it's application perfectly. Please let me know if this will work.

    Ashley
    MrsAshleyWalkup at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I like this. I think I needed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts here

Blog Widget by LinkWithin